Commercial Use Policy
Please note that the designs offered through the Silhouette Design Store are protected by copyright and are owned by Silhouette America or its licensors. All digital designs are available for personal use. Some digital designs are available for commercial use also. Commercial use is defined as using the digital design in any physical project, product, artwork, etc. that is intended for resale or commercial use. Under no circumstances are you allowed to resell or distribute the files associated with digital designs offered by Silhouette.
If you plan to use your Silhouette to create products which you will sell or use for commercial purposes, you must purchase a commercial license. If a commercial license is unavailable for a design, that design is limited to personal use. The royalty-free license fee is a flat one-time payment based on the number of units you will produce for resale. It is structured as follows:
1 - 100
101 - 1000
For instance, if you plan to produce 50 scrapbook page kits using a shape from the Silhouette Design Store, you will need to purchase the commercial license allowing 1-100 units. If you plan to cut vinyl wall art for your customers and plan to produce 150 units, you will need to purchase the license that allows 101-1000 units.
You may, of course, use the Silhouette to produce original projects for the purpose of reselling products made by the Silhouette so long as it is not a replication of an image offered by our company or its licensors. Alterations to original images offered from Silhouette America could constitute an "original" modified design if the alterations are significant enough. If the image is not recognizably taken from the original art, then there is no problem with such use. Alternately, it is permissible for individuals to reproduce non-commercially licensed images offered by our company or its licensors made with the Silhouette for any individual, organization, or event so long as it is not with the intent of re-sale purposes.
Submission of Ideas
The following policy applies to all ideas, suggestions, and inventions (referred to in this policy as an "Idea/Invention") that are submitted to Silhouette America by non-employees.
We appreciate the willingness of our customers and friends to submit ideas that will expand our product offerings or make our existing products better. However, our general policy is to accept disclosures from non-employees only if there is a clear understanding of the basis on which the disclosure is made. The primary goal of this policy is to avoid any misunderstandings and to ensure that no one discloses anything to Silhouette America based upon expectations that are not mutually understood prior to the disclosure.
If you (the person submitting an Idea/Invention to Silhouette America) believe your Idea/Invention has significant commercial value or if you expect Silhouette America to compensate you for the Idea/Invention, you must obtain a written agreement signed by an authorized officer of Silhouette America before disclosing the Idea/Invention to Silhouette America. In the absence of a written agreement between you and Silhouette America that clearly supersedes or modifies this policy, the following provisions will apply:
1. You must be the owner. By submitting the Idea/Invention, you represent to Silhouette America that you are the owner (or have authority to act on behalf of the owner) of the Idea/Invention, including any patents or trade secrets.
2. You must not violate any duties to others. By submitting the Idea/Invention, you represent to Silhouette America that you are not disclosing any confidential or proprietary information belonging to a third party (except as an authorized agent of the third party) or violating any obligation that you may have to a third party such as an employer, former employer, or partner.
3. We aren't obligated to keep anything secret. No confidential relationship is to be established or implied by your submission of the Idea/Invention or Silhouette America's consideration of the Idea/Invention. Silhouette America will have no obligation to maintain the secrecy of the Idea/Invention or any related information.
4. We might already be working on something similar. Silhouette America will give the Idea/Invention only such consideration as Silhouette America determines to be appropriate in its sole discretion. If Silhouette America produces a product that incorporates the Idea/Invention or a similar idea or invention, there will be no presumption that the product idea was first introduced to Silhouette America by you or that Silhouette America received any benefit from your disclosure.
5. We haven't agreed to pay you. By accepting disclosure of the Idea/Invention, Silhouette America does not agree to pay you or anyone else. Silhouette America may determine that the Idea/Invention is sufficiently useful and sufficiently different from other ideas and inventions being considered or previously considered by Silhouette America to warrant compensation to you. By submitting the Idea/Invention without a prior written agreement, however, you acknowledge and accept the possibility that Silhouette America may use the Idea/Invention without paying any compensation or remuneration to you of any kind, and Silhouette America will have the unrestricted right to do so unless Silhouette America's use of the Idea/Invention constitutes an infringement of a valid patent.